- 3 large eggs, rom temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Add pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; fold into the pumpkin mixture.
- Grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan and line with parchment. Grease and flour the paper. Spread batter into pan; sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately turn out onto a clean dish towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Peel off paper and roll cake up in towel, starting with a short end. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Carefully unroll the cake. Spread filling over cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and chill until serving. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Be patient when beating eggs. Aerating them (just a fancy term for incorporating air!) lends structure and light texture to this delicate cake.
- Want to make sure a cake layer is even? Use a baking pan that isn’t warped, and rotate it halfway through baking.
- Cool rolled cake seam-side down to prevent it from unrolling.
- This cake is tender and can tear easily, so work slowly when spreading the filling.
1 slice: 365 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.