- 1 yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chocolate frosting
- 19 to 20 yellow chick Peeps candies
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (assorted sizes)
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two parchment paper-lined and greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- If cake layers have rounded tops, trim with a long serrated knife to make level. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- For petals, arrange Peeps around edge of cake, curving slightly and being careful not to separate chicks. For sunflower seeds, arrange chocolate chips in center of cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Thick frosting tends to tear cake. For easier spreading, try thinning it with 1-2 teaspoons water.
- Tweezers come in handy when arranging chocolate chips.
- Keeping Peeps connected works great for decorating this cake. But you can also cut them apart and arrange individual chicks around the cake’s perimeter. Either method yields an adorable result.
1 slice: 679 calories, 30g fat (10g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 417mg sodium, 105g carbohydrate (83g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.