Did you think you’d have to say no to hot dogs just because you’re eating keto? No, here are some wonderful buns with just 1 g carbs a piece. Compare that to regular hot dog buns with about 20 g of carbs each!
- 1¼ cups almond flour
- 5 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1¼ cups boiling water
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Bring the water to a boil and add this, the vinegar and egg whites to the bowl, while whisking with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don’t overmix the dough, the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.
- Form with moist hands into 10 pieces and roll into hot dog buns. Make sure to leave enough space between them on the baking sheet to double in size.
- Bake on lower rack in oven for 40-50 minutes, they’re done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.
- Serve with good quality hot dogs and toppings of your choice. Store the buns in the fridge or freezer.
What do you do with the three egg yolks – béarnaise sauce, of course! Check out our recipes for béarnaise sauce and chili-flavored béarnaise sauce.