Prep this hearty burrito brunch the day before for easy assembling in the morning. The recipe is just what you need after party excesses or on New Year’s Day
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 red peppers, finely sliced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 8 spicy or herby sausages
For the chipotle baked beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 400g can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 400ml passata
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp light brown soft sugar
For the tomato salsa
- 4 vine tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
For the scrambled eggs
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 8 large or 16 small tortilla wraps
- 3 large avocados, stoned, peeled and chopped
- ½ small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- 50g smoked or mature cheddar, grated
- lime wedges and chilli sauce (optional)
- To make the beans, heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion for 5 mins until soft. Add both types of beans, the passata, chipotle paste, vinegar and sugar and simmer for 15 mins until thick and saucy. Season. Add more chipotle paste, sugar or vinegar to taste – it should be a balance of sweet, spicy and tangy. To make the salsa, combine all of the ingredients and season.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the peppers and mushrooms for 10 mins until soft. Squeeze small chunks of sausagemeat from the sausage skins into the pan and fry for 10 mins more until golden and cooked through.
- Warm the tortillas, then keep warm in a clean tea towel. Put the avocados, coriander, cheese and lime wedges (if using) in bowls.
- Just before serving, make the scrambled eggs. Heat the butter in a pan and add the cumin seeds. Sizzle for 1 min, then add the eggs, stirring slowly, until scrambled. Season and tip into a warmed bowl. Serve everything in the middle of the table with chilli sauce, if using, and let everyone dig in.
Get ahead by making the beans, salsa and sausage filling up to two days in advance and chilling – stir the coriander through the salsa just before serving. Reheat the beans and sausage filling until piping hot, and bring the salsa to room temperature to serve.