Turkey is great and all, but we just felt it was missing a little something. Bacon was the obvious answer. Crunchy and not an ounce of dryness, this is the turkey you’ve been looking for. Serve it along side our Cornbread Stuffing and call it a day.
- 1 (11-lb.) turkey
- 1 large red onion, cut into large wedges
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch rosemary
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) melted butter
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 lb. bacon
- Preheat oven to 375°. Rinse turkey under cold water then pat dry with paper towels. Stuff cavity with onion, thyme, and rosemary then tie legs together and tuck wings in.
- In a medium bowl, stir together melted butter and seasonings. Brush turkey all over with butter mixture.
- Place turkey in a roasting pan. Place strips of bacon on turkey and weave together.
- Bake for 3 hours, or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 165°. Check after 2 hours and cover with foil if bacon gets too dark.